- Chapter 24 - Offences & Miscellaneous Provisions
- Section 24-1 Loitering for Drug Related Activity
Section 24-1 Loitering for Drug Related Activity
(a) For the purposes of this section, "public place" means any street, sidewalk, bridge, alley or alleyway, plaza, park, driveway, parking lot or transportation facility, or the doorways and entranceways to any building which fronts on any of those places, or a motor vehicle in or on any of those places, or any property owned by the town.
(b) For the purposes of this section, a "known unlawful drug user, possessor or seller" is a person who has, within the knowledge of the arresting officer, been convicted in any court within this state of any violation involving the use, possession or sale of any of the substances referred to in the North Carolina Controlled Substances Act, G.S. 90-86 et seq., or has been convicted of any violation of any substantially similar laws of any political subdivision of this state or of any other state or federal law.
(c) It shall be unlawful for a person to remain on or wander about in a public place in a manner and under circumstances manifesting the purpose or intent to engage in a violation of any subdivision of the North Carolina Controlled Substances Act, G.S. 90-86 et seq. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to:
- Repeatedly beckoning to, stopping or attempting to stop passersby, or repeatedly attempting to engage passersby in conversation.
- Repeatedly stopping or attempting to stop motor vehicles.
- Repeatedly interfering with the free passage of other persons.
- Such person is a known unlawful drug user, possessor or seller.
- Such person repeatedly passes to or receives from passersby, whether on foot or in a vehicle, money or other objects.
- Such person takes flight upon the approach or appearance of a law enforcement officer or vehicle.
- Such person remains at or wanders about a location frequented by persons who use, possess, or sell drugs.
- Any vehicle involved is registered to a known unlawful drug user, possessor or seller, or is known to be or have been involved in drug-related activities.
(d) A violation of any provision of this section shall subject the offender to the penalties set forth in section 1-6.
(Ord. of 12-4-89, § I)